Sunday, June 16, 2013

Review: The Darkest Minds

The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Holy crap...

I've taken a couple of days to digest this book and I still don't know if I can write this review. Only one way to find out I guess...

In The Darkest Minds we learn that IAAN is a "disease" that is killing children. The children that do not die discover they've developed an ability. Abilities that range from being able to crack complicated/secret codes, telekinesis, mind reading and mind control.

Ruby Daly learns on her tenth birthday that she has changed and something has happened, something so drastic that it causes her parents to send her camp Thurmond.

The government has created "rehabilitation camps" throughout the US; camps where they promise to try and "cure" your child. Upon entry to the camp each child is assigned a color based on their abilities (green, blue, yellow, orange and red). But we quickly learn that these camps are nothing more than a prison for these kids with PSFs (Psi Special Forces) guarding and forcing the children to complete menial tasks.

Six years later Ruby escapes Thurmond with the help of Cate, but quickly discovers that Cate may not be as friendly as she seems. As Ruby is running from Cate, she meets Liam (blue), Chubs (green) and Zu (yellow). Liam shares that they're in search of East River. East River is a place created by Slip Kid for children with abilities to seek safety. Their journey isn't without complications and trouble though.

During their journey we watch as friendships are formed and bonds are created. Zu becomes a little sister figure to Ruby and Zu wastes no time trying to play dress-up with Ruby :D

Chubs eventually warms up to Ruby, but thankfully he never loses his snark because if he did, he wouldn’t be Chubs!

"Thanks for stitching me up," I said. "I'm looking a little Frankenstein, but I guess it's appropriate, all things considered."
Chubs gave me a weary sigh. "Frankenstein is the name of the doctor that created the monster, not the monster itself."
"Couldn't let that one go, could you?"
"Don't get on my case about it. You're the one that doesn't know her classic literature."


I quickly developed a soft spot for Chubs.

Then, of course, there's Liam. Handsome, protective and loyal Liam. Ruby and Liam don't have the insta-love connection which I love more and more. But once there is a connection; Liam brings on the swoon.

Did you know...you make me so happy that sometimes I actually forget to breathe? I'll be looking at you, and my chest will get so tight...and it's like, the only thought in my head is how much I want to reach over and kiss you."

Or

"We want you," he said, his hand slipping through my hair to cup the back of my neck. "We wanted you yesterday, we want you today, and we'll want you tomorrow. There's nothing you could do to change that. If you're scared and you don't understand your crazy abilities, then we'll help you understand - but don't think, not for a second, that we would ever just leave you."

In The Darkest Minds there are twists and turns, hearts mended and broken, relationships developed, promises made and loyalties challenged. I really enjoyed the world Alexandra Bracken created. Her writing is amazing; the descriptions really have you believing that you are there. The ending though... ugh!!! I still can't believe it...I understand why it had to happen, but it doesn't make me like it any better. Thankfully I have book 2 waiting for me to begin... which will be immediately, of course :D



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment