Monday, July 1, 2013

Review: Pivot Point by Kasie West

Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)Pivot Point by Kasie West
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 stars!

After taking a few days to digest, I'm still in awe. Pivot Point was a great, great, great book!!

Addie Coleman is a junior at Lincoln High. Addie lives in the Compound with everyone else that has special abilities. Addie is a Searcher; when she's directly given a choice, she has the ability to see what each path would lead to for her.

Addie is given a difficult choice - after her parents reveal that they are divorcing, she has to choose whether to stay with her mom in the Compound or move with her dad to Dallas; living with the "Norms".

The story alternates between each path Addie is searching and for the most part, it was easy to follow along and not get confused. It worked perfect for the story!!

On one path, we meet Trevor. Trevor is hot, quiet and laid back. He played football until he was injured. He loves comics. Perfect guy, right? RIGHT!! Addie and Trevor become best friends and they're perfect best friends... until they become a little more than best friends.

"Don't best friends hug before they go anywhere?"
I smile. He thinks he's being funny, but I can play this game. "As a matter of fact, they do." I slide my hands past his ribs and under his arms.
He wraps his arms around me, and I relax into him with a happy sigh. But then he starts rubbing my back, and tingles spread down my spine. "Best friends don't rub each other's backs," I tell him.
His hands stop moving, but then they press me closer to him.
...
"Will you let me read the handbook so I know all the rules?"
"Yes. I will."
He bends down and rests his forehead on my shoulder, his breath warming my skin. Why haven't I pushed him away yet?
"Does the handbook cover this?" he says.
I nod.
His lips tickle my neck as they move along it. Is he trying to drive me crazy? "It definitely says no."
...he takes my face in his hands and presses his lips to mine.
...Holy crap, Trevor the nice guy is an amazing kisser.
He pulls back slightly and meets my eyes. "So when can I get a copy of this friendship handbook?"
"Friends? Who said anything about friends?"


And their relationship beyond friendship is perfect. Are you sensing the trend here? :D

On the other path, we meet Duke. Duke is the typical dreamy football quarterback that all the girls want. But he doesn't want any girl; he wants Addie. I'll admit, while I love Trevor, I did fall under Duke's spell, but he's not the one I'd pick for Addie.

"I think I'm just waiting for reality to hit. I don't understand why you'd want to be with me. We're so different."
"Different is good. Right? I wouldn't want to date myself." He kisses me softly. "I'm falling for you, Addie. Don't break my heart."


On both paths there's a mystery, which adds to the interest and excitement. When the two paths overlap, it gets that much more interesting and exciting.

The supporting characters really helped add to the already great story; Addie's Compound best friend, Laila - this girl is blunt, but fun!! Trevor's best friend, Rowan - he keeps the mood light and cheerful!

I thought this book was excellent; definitely a page-turner! My interest was captured from page one and held through the very end. I'm very excited to see where this series goes and I will definitely be reading more of Kasie West!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment